MERIDIAN VALLEY MAINTENANCE ASSOCIATION

MONTHLY BOARD MEETING MINUTES

April 13, 2011

 

CALLED TO ORDER BY PRESIDENT Bill McLaughlin at 7:00 p.m.

 

ATTENDANCE:  Bill McLaughlin, Jan Lewis, Dale Mjelde, Mike Rucker, Frank Wisdom,  Brian Applebury, Bob Steiner, and Cheryl Havener      

Absent:  Barb Farley

Guests: Bill Viall, Jack Ottini, Terry and Trish Lavery

 

Jack Ottini gave an update on the farm house, fence, and road situation.  Mrs. McGowan, the owner of the farm house, would like a meeting in two weeks to talk about the issues going on.  Jim Schack will also attend the meeting.

Terry and Trish Lavery shared pictures and concerns about the condition of the home and landscape of Lot #298.

Bill Viall shared knowledge about the DORs.  He wrote them in 1973.  Since they are recorded and every homeowner has agreed to the terms when they purchased their home, he feels our biggest self help part is the section about “Common Areas”.  If dues are not paid or the owner does not follow the rules of the DORs, the association can suspend use of these areas – which included the roads.  Deactivating the remotes could also be used as a penalty.  Discussion was held.  If needed it is best to use the guidance of our attorney, Phil Mattern.

 

PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES:  Approved as written

 

TREASURER’S REPORT:  Mike Rucker

  • 2011 Assessment Collection:  As of Monday the 11th, four hundred twelve properties are paid in full.  Five properties have made payments of varying amounts.  Two properties are in foreclosure/bankruptcy so we may not collect on those until the properties are resold.  Of the remaining seven properties, two are bank-owned and five remain privately owned.  Owners of these properties have not been responsive to our invoices and phone calls.  Their gate access remotes have been turned off and liens will be filed, as appropriate, against them for 2010 and 2011 assessments and fees.
  • Budget:  Provided copies of the budget vs. actuals through April 11th as well as copies of an analysis of actuals-to-date vs. budget-to-go for the fiscal year, copies attached in file.  Overall we are slightly under budget with some additional unplanned expenses coming and some uncertainty in collection of outstanding assessments.  We have two accounts that are over budget by $7,500 from legal fees related to our tax-exempt dispute with the IRS and unplanned security computer expenses.  We also have two accounts that are under budget by $10,200 since we did not have to sand and sweep the roads this winter and will not have to pay income tax for 2010 and prior years.  In addition, there is another $2,000 in budget expenses that, if necessary, we may be able to defer to 2012. 
  • Income Tax:  Our income tax return for 2010 was mailed to the IRS on March 15th and is posted on the MVMA website.   The accountant’s changes for the year were entered into our QuickBooks accounting system.  

·         Enhanced MVMA Website:  Gordon Fasbender, Bob Steiner and I are working on updates to the MVMA website which will enhance the look and feel of the site and add the capability to host and maintain the database of residents and their gate access information.   Currently this information is kept in various forms in several different computers and notebooks.  The intent is to create a master database which can be more easily maintained and support the various uses that the association has for this information. 

·         Washington State Non-Profit Corporation Renewal:  Our Washington State non-profit corporation status has been renewed through April of 2012.  This is an annual renewal and requires a small filing fee.

 

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

 

FACILITIES:  Jan Lewis

  • Mike Rucker and I toured the property to get an idea of the current condition of storm water grates throughout the community.  Later the same tour with representative of Western Environmental was done and a quote will be prepared for the repair needed at Lot #364 and #612.
  • Met with Trent Allen for extension of storm water emergency run-off from Temple through perimeter fence to Lot #213/common grounds.  Expenses will be off-set by the $3,000 previously paid fee by the Temple.  Met with Jack Ottini mid-month to get an understanding of prior relationships with the Temple and the City of Kent requirements.
  • Signage will be ordered for “Notice – Dog Walkers” for the north, south, and main gates.

 

SECURITY:  Dale Mjelde

  • The guardhouse needs weather stripping, new roller shades, anti-glare film on the north window, and interior painting.  Jan Lewis has volunteered to paint.  This will be done as soon as possible.
  • Information was distributed for discussion concerning a bid for the guard radios.  Another bid needs to be submitted and then decisions will be made.
  • There were two rental ads on Craig’s list for the same home in MVCC, one of which appears to be a scam.  Kim reported the apparent scam to the listing realtor and the information was always forwarded to Craig’s List.
  • Homeowner of Lot #339 requested that notice stickers left on doors be removed by security for those residents that have turned in an absent form.  Discussion was held, this is not a duty our guards should have to deal with.  Dale will inform the homeowner.

 

MVCC:  Brian Applebury

  • Brian will check with the club to see if they would be interested in sharing the cost of radios and will also check on the verbal agreement concerning the cost of sanding our roads when needed during snow and ice days.

 

COMMON PROPERTIES:  Barb Farley – absent – no report

 

ARCHITECTURAL:  Frank Wisdom

  • Seven letters were mailed in March and three have been sent so far in April with three pending requests.
  • At this time there are four approved roofing materials with samples in the hallway outside the office.  The list will also be on the website.
  • The fence issues for Lot #267 were discussed & Bill McLaughlin will be contacting the homeowner.
  • Some work has been accomplished by the tenant on Lot #298.  A follow-on letter will be sent from our attorney to the owner and tenant requesting a plan and timeline for the outstanding maintenance work on the home.
  • I will follow-up with Lot #164 regarding attention to yard and home maintenance.

 

WEBSITE:  Robert Steiner

·         Posted the March meeting minutes to the website.

·         Set out e-mail to distribution list informing residents of the Cub Scout Food Drive scheduled for March 19 (announcement) and March 26 (pickup).

·         Posted the 2010 MVMA Tax Return to the website.

·         Send out an e-mail to distribution list informing residence of two recent burglaries

·         Added several residents to the e-mail distribution list.

·         Been working with Mike Rucker and Gordon Fasbender, exploring the possibility of making the Access MVMA database administratively accessible via web.

 

PRESIDENT’S REPORT:  Bill McLaughlin

  • It was decided that the Board to invite our attorney, Phil Mattern to the next Board meeting to go over the issues concerning property upkeep of a few of our residents.  It was agreed that action needs to be taken. 
  • Bill McLaughlin and Mike Rucker will speak to Lot # 267 owner concerning his property changes without Architectural approval.
  • A meeting of all MVMA residents concerning safety will be held Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm.  A sample flyer was distributed for review, copy in file.  A flyer will be included in the next newsletter.
  •  An update was given on the semi-truck that was parked on the road near Lot #174.  It is hoped that this issue is resolved.                                                                                                                          
  • An update and review of the issues concerning the fence on Lot #267, the break-in at

Lot #217, and the moving of the perimeter fence behind Lots #264 - #269 were given. 

 

MEETING ADJOURNED:   9:25 p.m.

 

Minutes prepared by Cheryl Havener